The good stuff:
- Hummus! Who doesn’t like a good hummus? It’s (almost) everyone’s favourite and it goes well with so many things! That’s for starters 🙂
- Hummus is a GREAT source of protein & fiber (thanks to the chickpeas!)
- It also has tahini (sesame paste) which is an amazing fat that keeps your brain and skin healthy. Tahini is also rich in protein, calcium and magnesium.
- The inclusion of raw garlic means you also get anti-fungal, anti-oxidant, anti-inflammatory, and anti-viral benefits too!
- Beetroot adds a vibrant pink colour and more Vitamin C, potassium & manganese to this notorious Middle Eastern spread!
- 1 lb/0.5 kg cooked chickpeas
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup tahini
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- Pinch of salt
- 2-4 tablespoons olive oil
- Juice of 1 lemon (or 2 limes)
- 1 beetroot – boiled & peeled
- 1/4 – 1/2 cup warm water
- Mix EVERYTHING in a food processor and blend until perfectly smoothed out.
- Add more water until the consistency is smooth and semi-thick
- Taste and see if you’d like to add more cumin, salt or lemon. Remember: tasting is key!
- And that’s it! 🙂
- If you let it sit in the fridge overnight, it will taste even better the next day! When ready to serve, drizzle some olive oil on top and dig in!