The good stuff:
- Okra are wonder fruits (it’s a fruit) that got a bad rep because of it’s slimey texture (which you can get rid of, read on to find out more). But they’re really great for you- and you can even apply on skin & hair!
- If you have digestive issues, you should definitely be incorporating more okra in your diet! It will definitely get things moving smoothly in the gut.
- Okra contains a very high content of vitamin A, as well as antioxidant components like beta carotenes, xanthein, and lutein. Antioxidants are powerful compounds that destroy or neutralize free radicals, which are the dangerous byproducts of cellular metabolism.
- Okra (about 2 dozen okras), chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 limes, juice of
- 1/2 scotch bonnet, finely chopped (no seeds)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds (optional)
- Coconut oil
- Place some oil in a pan, cook the okra on high heat for 1 minute.
- Then add the lime juice and cook on med-high heat again for 3 minutes (this is the part that kills the “slime”- lime and high heat together).
- Remove okra from pan and set aside.
- Wipe the pan and place some oil again.
- Cook the onions until translucent.
- Add the garlic & scotch bonnet- cook for a short minute.
- Add tomatoes, until soft
- Add the okra.
- Season everything with cumin and a bit of salt – taste as you go. Add the sesame seeds if you wish.
- Cook on medium heat for 3-4 minutes until everything is cooked.
- Enjoy 🙂