The good stuff:
- I think this is one of the best chickpea recipes in my books. It’s absolutely delicious: chickpeas cooked with full of great spices in a dreamy luscious coconut-tomato gravy… it’s food for the soul!
- It’s a hearty meal that is rich in protein & fiber (thanks to the chickpeas). I made this with brown rice cooked with curry leaves, a cucumber-mint salad and some garlic string beans 🙂
- The inclusion of flavour bombs such as garlic, ginger, turmeric, cumin etc also add extra health benefits for you. Always use spices in your cooking: they have the dual benefit of health AND flavour!
- 2 cans of chickpeas, rinsed and drained*
- 4 large tomatoes, diced
- 1 large onion, diced
- 6 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 3 cups tomato sauce*
- Garam Masala
- In a large pot, place the coconut oil and cook the onions until translucent.
- Add the garlic, ginger & turmeric- and cook for another minute.
- Then add the diced tomatoes. Cook until soft.
- Now add the chickpeas and mix everything together.
- Continue with the tomato sauce & coconut milk.
- Then season everything with garam masala (be generous with this one), cumin, coriander, paprika and some salt. Taste as you go- it’s the only way you’ll know if you need more of something!
- Cover the pot and cook on low-medium heat for about 6 minutes.
- You can of course cook your chickpeas from scratch. I just try to keep my recipes as user-friendly as possible 🙂
- For the tomato sauce: there are very basic tomato sauces out there (made without too many unnecessary ingredients)- so be sure to read the labels, always.