The good stuff:
- Many of us have become familiar with the health benefits of hummus- especially if it’s homemade (minus the preservatives!)
- Chickpeas and tahini are rich in protein- so you get a good protein kick from hummus too!
- Tahini, aside of it’s delicious taste, is also rich in healthy fats, amino acids and calcium! The good fats in tahini also help maintain supple skin and shiny hair 🙂
- If you like to add garlic to your hummus (which I do), you also get an extra immunity boost!
- Sweet potato, which is rich in vitamins and fiber, adds a subtle touch of sweetness – naturally- to this rich, creamy hummus.
- 1 can of chickpeas, RINSED and drained
- 1 cup of boiled or baked sweet potatoes (diced)
- 3 tablespoons tahini + more if necessary
- 2-3 garlic cloves
- Juice of 1 lime OR 1/2 lemon + extra if necessary
- Warm water
- In a food processor, add the chickpeas and sweet potatoes, garlic and a bit of warm water. Blend until smooth.
- Now add the tahini and the lemon/lime, a pinch of salt and a pinch of cumin- blend until smooth. If you need to thin it out, add a bit more water (if it’s not blending easily).
- Taste: does it need more tahini? More acidity? More salt? Taste & adjust! Tahini is a very intuitive type recipe, in my opinion 😀
- Serve and drizzle some olive oil on top 🙂
- Hummus always tastes better the NEXT day- the flavours develop and the texture becomes a little richer 🙂
Have you tried beetroot hummus before? It’s beautiful and delicious- find the recipe HERE!