The good stuff:
- Guyz- I think it’s really about time we re-dignify potatoes! I don’t know at what point we started to only use potatoes deep fried, smothered with cheese or mayonnaise. Somewhere down the line, we also came to believe that potatoes are bad for you and fattening- which is not true 😀
- As a matter of fact: potatoes have more potassium than a banana, are packed with Vitamin C and contain this special thing called resistant starch. Resistant starch is a special kind of starch that your body actually doesn’t digest. It acts like a soluble fiber with a plethora of health benefits such as improving insulin sensitivity, lowering blood sugar levels, reducing appetite (if you’re looking to lose weight), and is very good for gut health.
- This recipe takes us away from the mayonnaise smothered potato salad- that you can enjoy without worrying about clogging your blood arteries 🙂
- 4-5 potatoes- washed, diced, SKIN ON
- Cherry tomatoes- sliced in half
- A bunch of fresh cilantro, chopped
- Garlic powder
- 2-3 tbsp Cornmeal (optional)
- Coconut oil
- Squeeze of lime
- Preheat your oven to 400F / 200C.
- In a large bowl, mix the diced potatoes, garlic powder, a large handful of fresh cilantro, salt and cornmeal. The cornmeal will add a unique texture to the baked potatoes.
- Then drizzle some coconut oil and lay out on a baking tray. Bake for 20 minutes. Once they’re baked- you can give them a nice toasty look by using the broil/grill mode for a few minutes. Stay near your oven to make sure the potatoes don’t burn!
- Once the potatoes are ready, add them into a large mixing bowl.
- Then add the sliced cherry tomatoes, the remaining cilantro, zaatar (to your taste), and a splash of freshly squeezed lime.
- Voila! This potato salad is best enjoyed immediately after it is prepared!