Soups are very healing, in my opinion. I like soups with fairly simple- but magical- ingredients. After my Anti-PMS Soup, this time around, we’re looking at a Better Digestion Soup that you can make using very basic and accessible ingredients!
Poor digestion is caused by many things, and we’ve ALL gone through it! Too much junk food, lack of fiber, traveling in different time zones, too much stress, too little sleep, lack of exercise, imbalanced hormones… so many things! Yet digestion is so crucial to our well being. Some people even say your gut is your second brain, and hence, good digestion (and what we eat) is crucial- which I fully agree with.
The good news in all of this, is that we can correct our digestion simply by changing a few things to our lifestyle- and namely, what we eat. We don’t need to pop pills all the time, especially for lifestyle related issues!
One great way to improve digestion is through soups. Ancient cultures around the world have always believed in the healing benefits of hot/warm liquids, teas, broths and soups. They are amazing ways to bring some needed nutrients to our bodies in easy-to-digest ways and without upsetting our digestive system.
My Better Digestion Soup is simple to put together and is particularly beneficial when consumed in the evenings (you will see results the next day- is what I’m trying to say 😀)
I use basic, everyday ingredients we have here in Jamaica. Callaloo is one of my favourites- as it is highly nutritious, stimulates enzyme production (like most bitter-ish greens), and is a good source of fiber. Pumpkin is equally rich in fiber AND is one of the easier-to digest foods all while adding a very pleasant smooth sweetness to this soup. Then there is the very important use of fresh herbs which act as mini-brooms to clean our systems and strengthen our liver (which produces bile- critical to healthy digestion). A bit of garlic, a bit of onion, coconut milk (optional)… and….
… Another interesting & very important ingredient in this soup: FENNEL!
Fennel seeds are notoriously known for good digestion! I learned this informally many, many years ago drinking fennel infusions as a child (common in the Middle East) and then through my Indian and Pakistani friends- whose mothers always advised me to chew on some fennel seeds after meals, especially if I felt bloated (which was common at the time). And it worked like magic, each time! I was so amazed- because I was getting into the habit of taking antispasmodics (at the time!) and they NEVER WORKED. With it’s subtle licorice cooling flavour, the fennel seeds also acted like a mouth freshener- so it had a double benefit! YAY!
You can find fennel seeds in Jamaica (in the spice aisles) and it’s fairly cheap! Please add this wonderful seed in your kitchen. It decreases bloat, gas, spasms and cramping and contains special oils to improve Irritable Bowl Syndrome. I highly recommend you Google up the amazing fennel seed!
BETTER DIGESTION SOUP!
- 1 bag of chopped callaloo
- A nice big wedge of pumpkin
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 3 garlic cloves
- Handful of fresh cilantro, washed.
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- Coconut oil
- 1 cup coconut milk (optional)
- Peel the pumpkin and cut into wedges. Set aside.
- In a large pot, drizzle some coconut oil and cook the onions until golden. Everything will be blended later on so you don’t have to worry about how finely chopped the onions are.
- Then add the pumpkin, garlic, cilantro and callaloo, fennel seeds. Cook them all on high heat for about 1 minute (for a nice toasty flavour). Then lower the heat, add a bit of water, cover the pot with a lid and let it all cook for about 7 minutes. Remember: we’re going to blend everything later anyway.
- Transfer these cooked ingredients to a blender, add either water OR coconut milk (the latter will add extra smoothness), blend and return to the pot and cook for just a few short minutes. Add salt to taste.
- Voila 😀 That’s it guyz! Drink it throughout the day and especially in the evenings!