I want to say that this recipe will change the opinion of all the okra haters out there, lol 🙂 Maybe 🙂
Okra is such a healthy antioxidant, fiber rich fruit (yes- it’s a fruit) packed with calcium and magnesium. We get tons of it here in Jamaica and it’s usually quite affordable. I mix it here with chickpeas for a protein kick and then lots of aromatics which makes for a SUPER flavourful meal!
On top of this meal being extremely nutrient dense (EVERYTHING in this recipe is good for you!), it’s super cost effective, coming at no more than $250 JMD/person based on average supermarket prices*.
You’ll need (for 2-3 servings)
- 2 dozen okra, washed and chopped
- 4-5 plummy tomatoes, diced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1-2 cups chickpeas, cooked
- 4 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon curry spices
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro- chopped
- Coconut oil
- 1/2 scotch bonnet- finely chopped (optional)
- First thing is to cook the okra 🙂 Drizzle some oil in a large pan, toss in the chopped okra and cook in medium-high heat for about 6 minutes. Add a few drops of water if the okra is sticking to the pan. Remove okra from pan and set the okra aside.
- We’re now going to cook everything else 🙂 In the same pan, drizzle a bit of oil and cook the onions until translucent. Then add the curry spices, scotch bonnet and garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add the diced tomatoes and cook until soft.
- Add the chickpeas, cooked okra, cilantro, garam masala, sprinkle of salt. Mix and cook everything together for another 5 minutes or so. You can add a bit of water if you a bit of a gravy-ish feel to the recipe.
* Note that prices may vary depending on your location. My calculations were based on Kingston supermarket prices. Variables that may affect cost include whether you use canned or dry chickpeas (dry will always be cheaper) and seasonality of certain ingredients- namely tomatoes, which can become more scarce during winter