It’s early mango season here in Jamaica and this is a really beautiful dreamy dessert that is super easy to make (and can be made ahead of time!) It’s inspired by Italian panna cotta, but with an Asian influence (matcha) and a tropical twist with fruit mangoes!
Unlike traditional panna cotta however which calls for gelatine, we are going to use agar-agar* which is 100% plant-based. It’s a jelly-like substance made from algae, is easy to use and flavourfuless.
If you don’t have matcha, you can be creative and use other flavours that you feel could compliment mangoes! Vanilla, chamomile, chocolate… whatever it is you want, really 🙂
You’ll need (makes 2-3 servings):
- 240ml / 1 cup coconut milk
- 240ml / 1 cup coconut cream
- 50gr / 1/4 cup sweetener of choice (brown sugar, agave, etc)
- 2gr /1 tsp agar-agar
- 1-2 tsp matcha
- 1-2 tablespoon Orange blossom water (optional)
- Ripe mango, diced
- Place the coconut milk, cream and sugar in a pot and cook on medium heat – it has to get hot but not necessarily boil!
- Then add the matcha, orange blossom and mix everything until well dissolved.
- Finally, add the agar-agar, remove from heat.
- Let the mixture sit for about 5 minutes away from heat.
- Rinse some cups with cold water and fill the cups 3/4 through with the mixture.
- Let it sit in the fridge for 5 hours, or overnight. Top off with the diced mangoes and enjoy!
- You can find agar-agar at Fresh Approach on Constant Spring Rd (Kingston- click HERE to see map).