OK a few things frendz.
1- I’m not a porridge person… AT ALL.
2- This recipe was accidentally created.
Yes, I accidentally made pumpkin porridge. Here’s the thing: when I’m hungry, I love to eat nice flavourful wedges of baked pumpkin (especially the deep orange variety). It’s filling and has a comfort-food side to it. But the other day, I smooshed it and cooked it into coconut milk because I wanted to eat something with a puree-like consistency.
Then, I started to add nutmeg and cinnamon and my sweetener of choice (at this time, stevia). And boom- all of a sudden, this thing turned into pumpkin porridge lol.
Although I’m sure other people have made this before- my intention when I made it was completely accidental. Like many of the recipes you see on this blog 😀
Either way, it was DELISH! Below is a grain/oat free recipe but PLEASE feel free to toss in your add-ons!!!
Pumpkin Porridge (makes 1-2 servings):
- 400gr/14oz pumpkin (the deep orange variety or butternut squash)
- 1/2 – 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 tsp tapioca starch mixed into a tiny bit of water
- Sweetener of choice
- Spices of choice
- Pinch of salt
- Peel the pumpkin, dice and cook it (either steam, boil or bake) until soft.
- Once the pumpkin is cooked, mash it with the back of a fork.
- In a pot, add the coconut milk and pumpkin and cook everything together on medium heat. Add more coconut milk to your desire.
- Add the tapioca starch (mixed into water)- this will “thicken” the porridge as we’re not using oats/other here.
- Finally, add sweetener of choice, spices and a pinch of salt.