I’ve made fried callaloo fritters countless times, but these would fall under a “healthier” category. While they’re still full of flavour, they’re also not oozing of oil.
These callaloo fritters are also rich in protein and are gluten-free as I’m using garbanzo (chickpea) flour instead of regular flour 🙂
And most importantly: feel free to use any add-ons that I list in the recipe for an extra flavour boost!
- 1 1/3 cup garbanzo flour
- 2 cups chopped callaloo
- 1 cup water + extra tablespoons
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Coconut oil
- Add-ons: scotch bonnet, finely chopped scallion (my fave), chopped parsley or cilantro (or both), thyme leaves, ground flaxseeds etc
- In a bowl, add the garbanzo flour, callaloo, baking powder and salt- mix all ingredients together. Here is also where you add your add-ons. I highly recommend some chopped scallion FYI 🙂
- Then add the water- add more by tablespoons to achieve a “fritter” like consistency.
- The batter will then need to sit for 15 minutes in the fridge- during this time, the garbanzo flour will bind the ingredients together so it may appear thicker then when you first mix it.
- Drizzle a bit of oil onto a large pan and allow the pan to warm up on MEDIUM heat.
- Place large spoonfuls of the batter onto the pan- flip after 3 minutes on each side. Be sure to cook these on medium heat so they don’t burn on the outside and remain undercooked from the inside. Drizzle more oil as necessary, while you go.
- At the end, I like to sprinkle some paprika on each fritter 🙂