I put this stir-fry (of some sorts?!) the other day- and it was the result of complete randomness, which ended up tasting quite delicious! So I said, I have to share this recipe on the blog 🙂
It’s a great gluten-free option that bursts with interesting layers of flavours- some that may seem unusual but happen to work out wonderfully! And you’ll get a bit of everything: protein, fiber along with essential minerals & vitamins. I also think this is great if you’re feeding a crowd or meal-prepping: make a huge batch and share the love!
Tumeric Quinoa Stir Fry
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa- rinsed*
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 head of a small cabbage- chopped
- 1/2 ripe plantain- diced
- Handful of Governor’s Plum- cut in half*
- 3 cloves garlic- finely chopped
- Handful of fresh parsley- finely chopped
- 1-2 stalks scallion (or green onion)- finely chopped
- A bit of thyme
- 1/4 cup unsweetened grated coconut
- Salt, Pepper
- Coconut oil
- First things first: make sure all your ingredients are chopped/sliced as indicated above! This will make this recipe a breeze to go through!
- In a pot, place the quinoa and toast it for just 1 minute on high heat. Then add 2 cups of water, the ground turmeric, cover the pot and bring to a boil. Once the water boils- lower the heat (to medium) and cook for 15 minutes!
- While the quinoa is cooking, get a head start on the other ingredients:
- Drizzle some coconut oil in a large pan. Place the ripe plantain and cook until golden on all sides. Remove and set aside.
- Do the same thing with Governor’s Plum- toast real quick for 1-2 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Then add the cabbage, garlic & thyme and cook until semi-soft (keep a bit of crunch). Remove from heat & set aside if quinoa is still cooking.
- In a separate small pan- place the coconut. Toast it by cooking it on high heat. Once it turns golden, remove and set aside. This happens very quickly, so stay near your stove top!
- When the quinoa is done, remove the lid and fluff with a fork. Let it sit for 10-15 minutes. You can do laundry during that time (or reply to some unanswered emails- or do a few sit ups. Anything really!)
- Now, transfer the turmeric quinoa into the large pan (with the cabbage). Add the ripe plantain, Governor’s Plum, parsley, scallion & toasted coconut. Salt & Pepper- and mix everything well! Enjoy warm or as a cold salad!
- I rinse the quinoa to remove any bitterness.
- You can replace Governor’s Plum with grapes!