There’s nothing easier than making your own granola bars, especially if you like the chewy kind! And with a base recipe- the flavour options are endless!
With my obsession over the beautiful local Jamaican turmeric we get here (read more about that here), I decided to put together a really dreamy granola bar! Pictured is turmeric granola bars with rose, dates, sunflower & flax seeds!
Here’s a “naked recipe” that you can dress up and play around with! I’ve added some suggestions at the end too 🙂
CHEWY GRANOLA BARS
- 2 1/4 cups (200gr) old-fashioned oats*
- 1/3 cup (100gr) liquid sweetener of choice*
- 1/4 cup (50gr) coconut oil
- 1/3 cup (40gr) brown cane sugar or coconut sugar
- 1/2 cup (60 gr) dried fruit of choice (for the chewy factor)
- 1/2 cup (80gr) nuts or seeds of choice (for the crunchy factor)
- Pinch of salt
- Spices of choice (ex: cinnamon, ginger, etc)
- Heat oven to 350F/180C. Line a baking tray with parchment paper and spread the oats + nuts on there.
- Place in oven to toast the oats/nuts for about 10 mins, stirring halfway in between.
- Remove from oven and set aside.
- During that time, in a small pot, place the liquid sweetener of choice, coconut oil and sugar. Heat these ingredients until melted.
- In a large bowl, place the toasted oats & nuts. Add the dried fruit of choice, pinch of salt, spices of choice- and mix these together.
- Then add the melted sugars/oils and stir until everything is very well coated. At this stage, you can taste to see if it’s missing anything.
- Line a pan with parchment paper and spread out this granola mixture. With the back of the cup & press the mixture down. It is important to press hard- go over the same spots several times. This is a critical step.
- Place in fridge for 2 hours- then remove, slice into bars, and enjoy!
- This recipe will only work with old-fashioned oats. Please do NOT use instant oats.
- For the liquid sweetener you can use honey, agave, maple syrup, coconut nectar- or other. Honey is a debatable vegan ingredient- so please work with what you prefer!
- Experiment with spices like cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg… or add things like unsweetened cocoa for a chocolatey-granola. Toasted grated coconut would be a great add-on too.