There’s something really magical that happens when tangy & fruity sorrel meets the mild sweetness of root vegetables.
We’re nearing the holiday season, here in Jamaica, so hills of fresh crimson red sorrel will be a common sight! Great time to enjoy your veggies a little differently 🙂
Sorrel Glazed Roasted Root Vegetables
For the Sorrel Glaze:
- 2 cups fresh sorrel (or 1 cup dried sorrel)
- 1/4 cup sweetener of choice*
- Spices such as nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, ginger…
For the Vegetables:
- 3-4 sweet potatoes, washed, & cut into large chunks
- 4-5 carrots, washed & cut into large chunks
- A few garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp Coconut oil
- You can prep the Sorrel Glaze a day ahead. In a pot, place all the ingredients and add water until JUST covered. Allow this mixture to boil for about 3 minutes- then turn off heat, and let it sit, covered for at least 4 hours (or overnight). It should create a flavourful “syrup” of some sorts and the sorrel fruits should be soft.
- When you’re ready to bake the veggies:
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C.
- Line a tray with parchment paper or a silicon baking mat (this will make clean-up way easier)
- In a bowl, add the sweet potatoes, carrots & garlic. Gradually add the sorrel glaze until you feel everything is coated.
- Then add the coconut oil & salt and give it a last toss.
- Spread this out on the baking pan and bake for 30 minutes.
- With a fork, poke the veggies to see if they are cooked. If not, extend for another 10 mins.
* For sweeteners, you can use brown cane sugar, coconut sugar, agave, maple syrup, dates- or anything else really, if the source of sugar is not a concern for you.