Avocado toast is the trend that has taken over the planet in recent years. But funny enough, I want to think that Jamaica explored the whole avocado + “bread”-ish concept from way before. For years, Jamaicans have been enjoying something called “bulla & pear”, which is ripe avocado (locally referred to as pear) and a dense, slightly sweet and very filling baked specialty known as “bulla”. If you’ve never seen or heard of bulla & pear before, then simply click HERE 😀
Building off the avocado + toast deliciousness, I’ve taken that same idea, but made it gluten & fuss free! To replace the bread, all you need to do is use grilled slices of sweet potato and top it off with ripe creamy flavourful avocado & sorrel chutney. Because you know- it’s sorrel season around here 🙂
Keep reading to make your very own Sorrel-Avocado Toast!
- Sweet potato- skin on, washing & scrubbed*
- Sorrel chutney*
- Avocado, ripe
- Lime/Lemon (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400F/200C. Line it with parchment paper or a silpat baking mat.
- Slice your sweet potato lengthwise. It is best to buy smaller sweet potatoes so that it is easy to cut into! You will need some strength for this- but the smaller the sweet potato, the easier 🙂 In Jamaica, you’re more likely to come across the “yellow belly” variety. In North America & Europe, you’ll mostly come across the orange fleshed Beauregard sweet potato.
- Place them on your baking pan, rub with oil (optional- I make them oil free) and bake for 20 minutes.
- Remove from oven, top off with smashed or sliced avocado, a squeeze of lime if you’d like and finally, the sorrel chutney 🙂
* In Jamaica, there are a few ready-made sorrel chutneys that you’ll find at supermarkets or artisanal made from people’s kitchens. Popular brands that sell sorrel chutney include Walkerswood, Belcour and Dunson’s.