It’s easy to get intimidated by vegan cake recipes because there are all the substitutes to work around. But this recipe uses vinegar instead of your regular flax egg (or other).
Sounds strange, right? But it actually works- and rest assured, you won’t taste the vinegar 🙂 There have been a few recipes floating in the blogosphere around this concept if you’re ever curious!
The recipe below is adapted integrating sorrel- and giving you the option of using a gluten-free flour if you’d like! My fave is cassava flour, especially because it’s such a great local product here in Jamaica!
Spiced Sorrel-Coco Mini Cakes
For the Sorrel:
- 2 cups fresh sorrel (or 1 cup dried sorrel)
- 1/4 cup unrefined cane sugar or coconut sugar
- Spices such as nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, ginger…
For the Vanilla cake batter:
- 2 cups (250g) Cassava flour (for Gluten-Free) or regular all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup (100g) unrefined cane sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1 cup (240ml) Coconut or other non-dairy milk
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 cup (80ml) Coconut oil (or other vegetable oil)
- 1 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- You can prep the Sorrel a day ahead. In a pot, place all the ingredients and add water until JUST covered. Allow this mixture to boil for about 3 minutes- then turn off the heat, and let it sit, covered for at least 4 hours (or overnight). It should create a flavourful “syrup” of some sorts and the sorrel fruits should be soft.
- When you’re ready to bake the cake:
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C
- Line a muffin mould with cupcake wrappers
- In a bowl, mix the all the cake ingredients – only- together. Mix well- and until smooth.
- Now remove some of the sorrel fruits and chop them up. They should be soft at this point. Toss a handful into the batter and give it a last mix.
- Divide the batter amongst the moulds and bake for 40 mins.
- Using a sharp knife, insert into the center of the cake. If it comes out clean then your cake is done. Otherwise, bake for another 10 minutes.
- Move to a cooling rack, give it a last drizzle of the sorrel mixture on top, and allow to cool completely. Enjoy!