This recipe closes off Sorrel Month at Nana’s Kitchen- which celebrated Jamaica’s most festive ingredient this time of the year (for friends abroad: Sorrel is Roselle aka Hibiscus Sabdariffa and is very popular during the holiday season around here!)
This idea came to me just before going to bed one night- I had to jot it down so I could remember it in the morning hehe 😀
It’s fun to make and I love the tangy & sweet feel to this snack.
Just follow the steps below to make your own sorrel popcorn too!
You’ll need (makes about 4 servings):
- 1/2 cup unpopped corn kernels (popcorn corn)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil + an extra 1 tsp.
- 2 cups fresh sorrel, rinsed
- 2-3 cups water
- 6-8 dates, seeds removed
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder (aluminum free, preferably)
- 1 large pot with its lid
- 1 baking tray
- To make the popcorn:
- Place 1 tsp oil into a dry large pot.
- Add the unpopped corn kernels, cover the pot and leave on medium/high heat.
- After about 3 minutes, you should hear the first corns pop! At this point, turn the heat down to medium, leave the lid on and let them all pop!
- Remove and set aside- let it cool. Wash the pot as we’re going to use it again for the sorrel caramel 🙂
- To make the sorrel caramel:
- Soften the dates in a cup of warm water (you can do this while the popcorn is popping).
- Remove the now softened dates and transfer to a blender with the sorrel, 2 cups water 1 tbsp oil & a pinch of salt.
- Whizz in the blender until a thick, smooth caramel texture is achieved. Add an extra cup water if necessary.
- Pour this mixture into a pot on high heat until it boils. Be sure to stir during this time.
- Once it boils, remove from heat and add in the baking powder. It will “poof” a little at this point, but that’s perfectly normal. Stir for another minute as a final step.
- To assemble all together:
- Preheat your oven to 350F/180C
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper or a silpat baking mat.
- Spread the popcorn out onto the tray
- Pour the “sorrel caramel” all over the popcorn and stir gently to coat evenly.
- Bake for 45 minutes, stirring half way through.
- Remove from oven, let the popcorn cool completely. Enjoy immediately or store in an airtight container.