I’m pretty sure crackers have their place on the table during this holiday season, you know, with that glass of bubbly (in moderation, of course!) 😀 And if you’re being invited & asked to bring something to a festive dinner and can’t cook for your life- here’s your chance to prove yourself wrong 🙂
These crackers are super easy to put together and don’t have to end up like just any blah cracker! YOUR wonderful creativity can transform them into gourmet crackers- just like those fancy overpriced ones at the epicurious food shops! Please go wild with all the add-ons to make these extra-special! Seeds, spices, herbs- go crazy with them! Here I made a turmeric, fennel seed, nigella seed & flax seed cracker. Looks pretty and will make all those hungry nibblers happy!
Plus, they’re vegan and contain far less fat (let alone, hydrogenated fats) than most conventional supermarket crackers! And you get to tame the sodium levels too 🙂 Yay for homemade foods!
EASY PEASY CRACKERS (makes 30 crackers, depending on how you cut them out)
- 1.5 cups all purpose flour + extra for rolling out the dough
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon spice or herb of your choice
- 1.5 tbsp olive oil + a little more for brushing at the end
- 1/2 cup water
- All the add-ons you want!
- Preheat oven to 500F/260C and line a baking tray with parchment paper or a silicon mat.
- In a bowl, add all the DRY ingredients and mix well.
- Then add your wet ingredients (water + oil) and mix everything until it forms a dough (it shouldn’t be too wet nor too sticky).
- Now take the parchment paper that was placed on your tray, remove it and place it on your counter or table.
- Dust with some flour and roll the cracker dough on it- it should be rolled out thin. The thinner, the crispier.
- Carefully lift the parchment paper and place it on your baking tray again.
- With a sharp serrated knife or pizza cutter, cut into desired shapes.
- Brush lightly with some olive oil
- Bake for 15 minutes (or until golden).
- Remove and enjoy! Store in an airtight container for extra crispiness.