I love the deep orange flavourful & slightly sweet pumpkin we have here in Jamaica- and I especially love to use it when I occasionally bake! Believe it or not, there’s actually 1lb of fresh pumpkin in this bread too 🙂
This pumpkin bread is great for when you’re craving something wholesome and sweet- that you can make from scratch with the reassurance of no artificial ingredients or chemicals added in (the beauty of homemade!) For many of the ingredients, I’m leaving you the option to choose based on your preference as flexibility is always important. And whatever it is, enjoy WITH MODERATION! 🙂
Pumpkin Bread with Poppy Seed & Turmeric
- 500gr/1.1lb* of pumpkin (deep orange variety please)
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1.5 cups cassava flour OR all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup coconut oil OR unsweetened applesauce
- 4 tbsps black strap molasses
- 6 tbsps water
- 1.5 cups unrefined brown cane sugar OR coconut sugar
- 1/3 cup poppy seeds*
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- Peel the pumpkin and remove the seeds*
- Dice and bake in a 400F/200C oven for about 20-30 minutes- until soft.
- Mash the pumpkin and place in a big mixing bowl.
- Then add oil/applesauce, molasses, water & sugar- mix very well.
- Add all the flours, cinnamon, turmeric, poppy seeds, baking powder & pinch of salt and mix again until you obtain a nice batter.
- Line a baking tray with parchment paper (or grease it & flour it).
- Transfer the batter to the mould and bake in a preheated oven set at 350F/180C for 45 minutes.
- Check at 45 minutes to see if it is baked* by inserting a sharp knife. If the knife comes out dry, that means the bread is ready! Mine took a full 60 mins to bake FYI
- If you wish, you can brush some guava jam on top, immediately once the bread is out of the oven.
- Let cool and then get ready to enjoy!
- The weight of the pumpkin is without seeds & without peel FYI. In total, you should be get 2 cups of pumpkin puree (if you choose to use canned pumpkin puree)
- You don’t have to discard the pumpkin seeds! They are delicious roasted as a snack or in salads!
- Baking time can vary depending on the type of mould you’re using and your oven. Always keep that in mind. Also remember: the smaller your mould, the less baking time required!
- You can find poppy seeds at Fresh Approach on Constant Spring Rd.